Sunday 6 November 2011

There are other reasons for quilting.


Quilting isn't just to keep the layers together and give a decorative finish. It also strengthens the fabric. This is the front of a cushion cover for the cottage, all except the pale blue fabric with the flowers are strong heavy weight cottons, but that one is particularly floppy. I had to quilt it so it would stand up to the stresses and strains of being on one of the main sofas in the kitchen. And that meant the other fabrics had to be quilted too, to allow for the shrinkage the quilting brings to be even.

Good news, Ikea have some of the Rosalie fabrics back in stock at £4.99 a metre. Lovely and soft for quilt backs.



Autumn is in full swing and the crab apple has so many fruits we have had to trim back the little tree and strap it up to the fence post to keep it upright.
One more pair of the dreaded curtains made..... feel for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally, You are a 'busy bee'....I am just busy binding my latest quilt just off my longarm....guess what I used as a backer????

    Best Wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete