Monday 6 October 2014

A mishmash. Old blocks put together in the 1980's?

 I didn't have high expectations of this when I ordered it, but I didn't pay much so it matters not.
 I am fairly confident the stars surrounding the hexagons are from the 1940s and earlier. The hexagons measure 1 1/2" on the edge.
 It has been pieced over papers but the papers no longer are present.
 My guess is someone bought or inherited the stars and finished it in the 1980s. The plain terracotta is very much an 80s colour. And the terracotta stripe diamonds with the flowers look like an 80s Laura Ashley print to me.
 The other fabrics all are late 40's, 30's and 20's to my eye, but I am no expert.




There is no quilting, it is backed with loosely woven cotton. It has a poly-cotton beige valance sewn on by machine. (very 80s)

5 comments:

  1. I really like this top, especially that solid they used. I invite you to link to Hexie Weekend and share this unique quilt. Love that center row going down the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That centre column caught me eye, it looks like its just been 'put' there, very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think 30s and 40s for the fabrics. Some look like the feedsack style prints that I remember seeing when I was a child in the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. There is a LOT of lovely fabric in this one. Very interesting setting too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete